Friday 8 November 2013

Review of the day

I had a feeling this morning, that today was a day when I either fired a lot of darts – or didn’t bother…

Instead I opted to fire 3 small ones – and maybe not too surprisingly, I picked the wrong ones…

In fairness, the main tip of the day, Top Dancer, ran a very good race – in the circumstances…
As I said in the preview, he is a horse whom I believe has a preference for decent ground – so seeing him splashing around the Warwick track, didn’t give me a good feeling.
I wasn’t overly convinced about the tactics of dropping him off the back of the field either. It left him with a lot of ground to make up – and although he did reduce the deficit down the back straight second time round, it was too much of an ask for him to get back at quickening leaders.
He will be better for the run – and if he can find good ground this year, he will be worth following…

Over at Chepstow, Mics Delight ran a fair race in the handicap hurdle.
He was very strong in the market this morning – but in the key minutes leading to the off, he was weak.
The market suggested that he needed the run –and that was how it looked. He is another one who we might be interested in next time out…

By contrast, Sandynow is one that we won’t be interested in next time !
He kept up his amazing record of being heavily backed – and then disappointing…
10/1 this morning – he was co favourite at half that price at the off.
However, his jumping wasn’t fluent and whilst he raced up with the pace – and kept on responding to pressure, his jumping never gave him any chance of being involved at the business end…
A return to hurdles would seem to be the only way he might show some improvement…

Unlike the tips, some of the mentions did rather well – non more so than Rockchasebullet…
He was a 25/1 shot last night – and still that price in a place when I sent out the write-up.
However, that didn’t last long – nor did his opening show of 12/1…
His SP was 8/1 – a price that I wouldn’t have been remotely interested in !
However, as I said this morning, when the Speculative ones are backed (or the Opposition is opposed), it’s surprising how well they do…
He travelled front rank in the race – and despite couple of mistakes always looked like he would hold on.
He will get a fair rise for this performance – but may be progressive enough to defy it…

In the first at Warwick, Who’s Jeff managed to finfish fourth, despite the hood having a very limited effect…
In fairness, he achieved the placing due in part to a bit of carnage at the second last. If he is to realise his potential he needs to settle and I would be in no rush to back him in the immediate future.. 

In the juvenile hurdle, I was a little surprised to see Café Au Lait get turned over…
Obviously you can never be sure with a horse making his hurdling debut – but I did expect him to take the beating.
However, he was comfortably put in his place by the Alan King trained, Herod the Great, whom I suspect might be a fair bit above average…

The mentions didn’t do so well at Chepstow – to the extent that there really isn’t much to comment on !
And it was a similar story at Fairyhouse, where both mentions finished well beaten – and are unlikely to be mentioned again, in the immediate future…!!

Not the best of days then – but these things happen.
Damage was relatively light – so I guess that is something !

I’ve had a quick look at tomorrows cards and they don’t look overly inspiring (which is a slight surprise).
I’m putting a lot into this tipping (research and writing) and I feel it is important that I try to keep fresh. Therefore, if tomorrow looks like it might yield nothing, I may take another day off.
I’ll advise either way, early in the morning…

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment