Tuesday 5 November 2013

Review of the day

Well, it was nice to finally get off the mark for the season this afternoon – even if we can be considered a little fortunate to do so…

My reading of the relative merits of Somersby and Cue Card was spot on – what I didn’t foresee however, was the huge run from Module…
Having slipped at the fourth fence, he then ballooned the last, handing the advantage to Somersby. However Somersby started idling and was ultimately a little lucky to hang on.
I suspect that both horses will come on significantly for the run – as no doubt will Cue Card, who lost little in defeat under his welter burden…

The second tip of the day to run was Arkose…
In my preview for the race, I said that the 2 that initially caught my eye were Rydalis and Gas Line Boy.
I rejected them both because their prices subsequently collapsed – but I was left ruing that decision somewhat, as they fought out the finish.
Ultimately, it was the race sharpness or Gas Line Boy than won the day – though Rydalis will take some beating next time out (and confirmed that Venetia is back).
Arkose ran on to take a never nearer third.
His jumping was ponderous in the extreme – and unless he sharpens it up, the only way I can see him winning a chase, is if the going gets bottomless…

Barton Jubilee was the final tip of the day to run – but his performance was very disappointing.
I have to say that I had high hopes. The early money for him seemed to suggest that I might have found one.
However, that dried up near the off and he was a late drifter…
For a horrible moment, rounding the home turn, I thought that the mention, Cute Court, was going to deliver a winning challenge.
He moved through from the rear to briefly look dangerous.
His run petered out up the home straight – and he ultimately finished a well beaten fourth. However he certainly ran much better than you would have expected for a 50/1 shot and is definitely one to keep an eye on…

Both mentions in the first race: Junction Fourteen and Master Butcher, ran with credit.
The former stayed on well to take third place, whilst the latter helped cut out a lot of the running before fading late on.
I would suspect that both will be placed to advantage, sooner rather than later…

Doctor Harper absolutely dotted up in the second race on the card – looking a high class prospect in the process.
He was a 2/1 shot when I sent out the write-up but was backed down to 8/11 at the off.
Connections clearly thought they had something to work with – and they were right.
Chill Factor never featured in the race and is likely to be one for handicaps in a few runs time.

Finally, there was a thrilling finish to the novice chase, with the official mention, Manyriverstocorss getting the better of Claret Cloak.
Again, both horses emerged from the race with a lot of credit.
Manyriverstocross jumped really well on his chasing debut – whilst at todays weights, Claret Cloak was always going to have his work cut out to beat him, if that was the case.
Both animals should be in for a good season…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,nice to get off the mark as you said,unlike you I got a great feeling when I saw cute court possibly getting into it as had a small ew interest but I also had a few quid on manyriverstocross so was happy enough,missed the 2/1 on doctor harper so had no bet on him then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - sorry about that Liam - LOL!
    I did think, as I was writing, that a few of you were probably on it…
    I was myself (to the tiniest stake) – but it still would have left me dumbfounded if it had won…
    When I saw it come round the bend, seemingly making ground hand over fist, I nearly choked !
    Anyway, the question is, where now with the horse…
    I don’t want to get carried away with it – but it clearly has some ability…
    A very stiff test on a track like Chepstow would suit it IMO.
    It’s in my alerts, so we’ll have to see what connections decide…

    PS – Glad to hear that Manyriverstocross bailed you out. That was an impressive fencing debut IMO – and the horse has some scope…

    ReplyDelete