Thursday 12 December 2013

Review of the day

Where to begin, on a day like today…?

I tipped 5 horses in 4 races and mentioned 5 others - and between them they yielded 3 winners and 2 very unlucky seconds…

I did say it would be better than yesterday J

The main tip of the day was Lady Olwyn – but it is difficult to say with confidence what happened to her…
She was in second place as the field went into the fog in the back straight – but had vanished when they returned on the run to the second last…
I know she fell – but I don’t know how she was going at the time, so I’ve no idea whether we were unlucky…

The race was ultimately won by Another Palm, with Dog Barrel Hill in second – suggesting that Foritsa could be worth keeping an eye on when he reappears !

Earlier in the day, Sunday Serenade had got the tips off to a great start, by taking the opener, pretty much as I expected…
As was the case at Cheltenham, she travelled very nicely just off the pace – whilst market leader Supreme Ballerina was getting scrubbed along in mid division.

Unfortunately for Supreme Ballerina there isn’t the same hill or run-in at Tramore as there is at Cheltenham ! - so she had little chance of reeling in Sunday Serenade…

If all races went like that, there wouldn’t be many bookmakers left !

Over at Huntingdon, I’ve got to be honest and say that I was shocked by the victory of Fergall…
Obviously I thought he could run well (I wouldn’t have tipped him otherwise !) but I expected him to do so by dominating the race.
Instead, the race was dominated by Keltus, with Fergall sat in behind.
Credit to Fergalls jockey though – he clearly knew what he was doing.
Fergall took up the running entering the home straight and whilst some of the chasing pack closed, they were always likely to have a job on.
In fact, it was the aforementioned Keltus who nearly spoiled the party, by rallying late on. However Fergal had sufficient in the tank to repel him.
Chat Room ran a shocker and was in trouble after 4 flights.
The run was too bad to be true – not that we will be giving him another chance in the immediate future to prove that point…

The final tip of the day, was Rupert Bear.
And whilst he also looked disappointing, I’m not so sure…
I think the combination of short trip and fast ground caught him out.
He was staying on after the last and ultimately wasn’t beaten that far.
He could be worth a chance in more suitable conditions, next time out…

Of the mentions, then in the first at Huntingdon, Thorseby ran a similar race to Rupert Bear…
He looked as if he needed more of a test of stamina – producing a finishing effort when the race was over…

The Peterborough chase was won in gritty style by Riverside Theatre - with the mention, Module, back in fourth.
Our main interest in the race however, was the performance of Captain Chris…
Maybe I’m bias (!) – but I honestly thought he travelled through the race like by far the best horse.
Bearing in mind he had to give weight to the whole field - and it was his seasonal debut. I thought it was huge performance to finish a close third.
I’m kind of hoping that Dickie Johnson was looking after him a bit - with one eye on Boxing (Stephens) day.
If he was – and the horse makes it there – I really believe we will be on a live one.
Fingers crossed !!

The final mention of the day to run at Huntingdon was Wadswick Court – and he must be a horse of serious ability.
He pulled for his head through most of the contest – and yet still managed to find from the last to repel two challengers…
If he can be taught to settle in his races, he could really go places…

The other two mentions to run both managed to suffer excruciating defeats…
Gettoutwhenyoucan looked to have the race won as he jumped into the lead at the last, but he was run down in the shadows of the post by Tidy Zac (who had looked beaten, 2 hurdles from home).
Whilst Radio Nowhere went even closer at Newcastle.
3 lengths up jumping the last, he was literally collared on the line by a horse having its first run for over 2 years.
If he had been a tip, I would have been gutted !!

A busy day then – and I don’t suppose it will ease up tomorrow, with the first day of Cheltenham’s December meeting…

There’s no rest for the wicked, is there ?!?!

TVB.

3 comments:

  1. very well done today just a shame that the best two winners 40/1 and 20/1 have had the smallest stakes on
    i wish i had gone levels on all bets :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could give myself a hard time about Tatenen, Dave – but Fergall really was only a saver today…
    If I wasn’t able to stake below half a point, he wouldn’t have been a tip – it’s as simple as that…
    I’m trying to get the right blend right: short ones; long ones and conventional tips.
    If I was going to give myself a hard time about staking today, it would be that I didn’t have more on Sunday Serenade.
    To my mind, it was a 6/4 shot – so 4/1 was an absolute gift !
    That said, a month ago, it would have been a mention, so I am getting better J
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Andrew better a little bit of pie than no pie at all :]

    ReplyDelete