Saturday 14 December 2013

Review of the day

Maybe I was just a little too cautious today (oh, how out of character that would be !!).

I was always going to have a small play on Max Bygraves – but I had 3 other possibles on my list…
Guess Again, Hidden Horizons and Monbeg Dude.
With hindsight, maybe I should have had 0.5pt on all of them. But bearing in mind what happened on Wednesday, I decided to play cautiously and just tipped one.
Needless to say, I chose the wrong one  – and we ended up with a losing day…

I honestly think that the chances of Guess Again had been blown long before he tried to take the second fence with him…
The main reason I put him up today, was because I felt he had ticks in all of the boxes. One of those boxes was ‘quick ground’. Well, if the going at Bangor today was ‘good’, then I’m a Dutchman (and as I’ve said before, so far as I’m aware, Reno is the only Dutchman in here !).
The only reason Railway Dillon was able to win the race was because he’s a slogger who relishes heavy conditions.
The ground would not have suited Guess Again one jot – the mistake just put us out of our misery a bit sooner…

The other tip on the day, Max Bygraves, ran a screamer to finish third at Cheltenham…
I dare say that one or two of you were wondering why I didn’t put him up EW (as he was a 20/1 shot). Well, I honestly thought that he would either just about win or be pulled up.
I guess he did go close to wining – but not quite close enough.
At least I tend to be consistent with these sorts and put most of them up win only…

In the previous race at Cheltenham, Oscar Whiskey got the better of Wonderful Charm – which was nice to see…
Hopefully he can go on from this and prove himself a top class novice.

I was a bit disappointed by the run of Maxi Chop in the handicap hurdle. He seemed to be going as well as anything approaching the second last – but found disappointingly little from that point.
There was no obvious reason for his poor performance…

Contrary to my expectations, Tom Scudamore rode a fine race on Monbeg Dude (apologies Tom !) whom I’ve honestly never seen jump better…
As I said this morning, he is a horse who wins races when everything goes against him, so with things falling right today, it was not surprising that he dotted up.
His defeat of a peak form Theatre Guide really should not be underestimated.
He will doubtless get a few pounds for the win – but that will be immaterial.
If he jumps round Aintree in the spring (and if he jumps like he did today, he just might), it will take a very good one to beat him…

The cross country chase was a very exciting race and jumping the last, it looked like Imperial Circus might win.
However, he faded up the hill and eventually only managed fourth placing behind the rallying Sire Collonges…

Thomas Crapper also faded up the hill in the handicap hurdle, having looked to have every chance approaching the last. I wouldn’t be giving up on him if he is dropped back half a mile for his next run.

In the finale, Ballyalton got the better of Garde La Victoire – but both animals showed themselves to be class acts…
It will be no surprise to see them feature in the big novice events at the festival in March…

Back over at Bangor, My Flora looked like she needed her first run for her new connections.
She might be a better price as a result, next time out…

Another one who might be a better price is Diamond King.
I fully expected him to hack up today – and whilst he would have won if he hadn’t made a shocking blunder at the last – he would have made hard work of it…
He now has a little to prove…

Over at Downpatrick, Hidden Horizons made a very good chasing debut - but just came off worse in a 3 way fight to the line.
Over a slightly longer trip, I’m sure she can go two better.

Finally, Ruby must be regretting his decision to go all the way to Downpatrick for one ride…
Still going nicely at the second last, Hold em Cowboy then decided not to bother leaving the ground – and Ruby was unceremoniously dumped on the ground.
I bet he was wishing he’d gone to Cheltenham instead ;)

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment