Thursday 26 December 2013

Review of the day

There is always a danger that you can lose the plot on a day like today… 
There are just too many races – particularly for someone like me, you likes to have a view on them all !

I did try to keep myself in check – and was also conscious of the fact that I’d ‘dropped out of the zone’ for a few days. 
I just didn’t want to go mad today, as I wasn’t totally comfortable with all of my calls…

Ultimately it all worked out fine however, with Annacotty rewarding my decision to tip a 20/1 shot in a five horse race !

As I said this morning, I felt the race was far more open that he betting implied – and once he got to the front and into a nice rhythm, I knew he would take some passing – 20/1 or 2/1 !!

He really couldn’t have done it any better – and in the process, made the form of his earlier Kempton run look gold plated !

In the opener on the card, Dubai Prince was another short priced favourite, whom I wanted to take on.
Again that call was right – though this time, I chose the wrong horse to oppose him with…

If I could have my time again, we would be on the winner, Amore Alato.
He was 16/1 this morning, which was a crazy price for a horse, whom I felt had a chance (and whom I knew might get the run of the race).
However, I’d mentally pinned my colours to the mast of Champagne at Tara – and felt 7/1 was a fair enough price…

It might have been – if he’d agreed to settle in the race – but he didn’t and consequently he didn’t get home…
He may well have a huge amount of talent – but until he becomes more tractable, he will continue to disappoint…

In the other races on the Kempton card, Western Warhorse looked like his temperament was getting the better of him.
He threw Tom Scudamore and then ran lose – before the race had even begun.
I think I would now have to see him perform before I would consider supporting him…

The Christmas hurdle was won my My Tent or Yours – but really, he was only the moral victor.
As I said, I did expect him to win today – but I felt it was the reputation of A New One that was enhanced.
I think it will take A Good One to beat him in The Champion…

A little surprisingly (to me at least !), Silviniaco Conti won the King George…
There was only him and Cue Card in the race, for most of the final circuit - and just when Cue Card looked set for victory, his petrol gauge flickered ‘empty’ and Silviniaco powered past…
Credit to him – but I will be a little surprised if he doubles up in the Gold Cup.

I’m sure a few of you would like to know how I felt Captain Chris would have fared…
I honestly can’t see how he wouldn’t have been placed – at very least.
The misery of ante post betting L

The 2 Nick Gifford tips at Wetherby, Tullamore Dew and Fairy Rath, both performed with credit, without being quite good enough.
There were no obvious excuses for either one.

Whilst at Towcester, Bathwick Brave was a major disappointment - according to the RP summariser, anyway ! That is great news, as I thought he ran really well, but just needed the run..
We’ll be on him next time, mark my words…

Finally, over in Leopardstown, Defy Logic showed the other side of the Ante Post coin…
He and favourite, Champagne Fever, went head-to head from the outside.
Generally, Champagne got the better of the jumping, but Defy Logic kept on coming back at him – and finally forced him to make a crucial mistake at the second last fence.
Defy Logic then powered home, resisting the late challenge of Trifolium…

It really was a tremendous performance – and if we weren’t already on him for the Arkle, I would be recommending getting on board, even at half the price we took !

The joys of ante-post betting J


TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment