Wednesday 11 December 2013

Review of the day

I think we can consider ourselves a little unlucky to have dropped a point today…

I previewed 6 races this morning, offering tips in 2 of them and mentions in the other 4 and between them, they managed to record a couple of wins and an unlucky second…

Ofcourse, it was just poor judgement on my behalf that made the 2 winners, mentions rather than tips – though I did so in both instances, with my eyes open…

Bucking the Trend was generally a 6/1 shot when I looked at the race and I figured that was a bit too short for the risk involved.
As I’ve said before, tipping in pre-define windows does have it’s limitations – but unless people want to hang around all day waiting for bets to materialise, that’s a restriction we have to live with.
The write-up should help counteract some of the issues that the window causes, as it enables me to express more clearly how I feel about a particular horse.
I felt Bucking thee Trend had a fair chance today – but it was all about the odds…

I thought that Midnight Charmer had a more than a fair chance - the issue with him, was the possibility that one of his rivals was going to improve significantly (something that is invariably proceeded by a sharp market movement !).

I did wonder if that was going to be the case when both West Bay Hoolie and Malibu Son were subjected to sustained support. Both ran very well – particularly the latter - however, neither could hold off the persistent Midnight Charmer, who ground out a tenacious victory…

It now seems a bit ironic that I didn’t tip Midnight Charmer because of fears about the opposition improving massively – and that is precisely that fate that befell Mystifiable…

It wasn’t unreasonable to expect Un Majeur Aulmes to put up an improved showing today, on his second run for Victor Dartnell – but there are improved showings and there are improved showings !!!
The horse cruised through on the bit at the second last and won in a common canter.
It was all a bit galling, as Mystifiable battled away for a honourable second place – without looking even close to the class of the winner.

That is the fourth time this season that we’ve bumped into a handicap good thing and come off second best.
In the first few weeks of the service, Merry King, Unoccupied and Night Alliance all suffered the same fate.
It is difficult to say they were unlucky – because in conventional terms, they weren’t.
However, they were each very unlucky to come up against such a well handicapped rival…

The other 2 tips on the day, Possibly Flora and Lord Kennedy, didn’t perform quite so well…
In fairness, both gave it a shot, and heading towards the home turn, I did think that we might be in with a chance of collecting.
However I suspect they had gone off a bit too hard and were both spent forces up the home straight.
It was interesting to see that both first and second in the race were relatively unconsidered, so my policy of having a crack with a few outsiders, did have some merit (or at least it would have done, if I’d picked the right outsiders !!).

There wasn’t a lot to be said about the runs of the other 2 mentions.
Premier Portrait looked like he might benefit form a step up in trip; whilst the race didn’t unfold in a way that was going to help On Trend – and ultimately, he just didn’t look good enough…

A quick look at tomorrow cards suggest that it might be a blank day.
I’ll go through them again this evening to make sure though and send out an email at the normal time to advise on whether there will be any action on the day…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment