Thursday 19 December 2013

Review of the day

I kind of think we got out of jail a bit today, courtesy of Gorgehous Lliege…

Of course, that might not be how it seems to the casual observer: a third placing and a faller at he last when in second, could actually be construed as a little unlucky – but I know differently…

Todays tips weren’t great – but worse than that, I missed a hat full of opportunities.
I won’t go into detail, as Midnight Lira aside, they didn’t even make it into the write-up.
However, I know I should have had them – and I feel suitably irked as a consequence…

Anyway, enough about what should have been – and a bit about what actually was !

Gorgehous Lleige won at Towcester (did anyone honestly think he wouldn’t ?!).
I know there were a couple of non runners – but provided he ran to form, I couldn’t see him getting beaten today.
As I said this morning, my nervousness stemmed purely from his trainer (she messes with my mind !) – but I shouldn’t have worried, it all went precisely as it should have done…
Not a great price ofcourse – but he prevented a losing day, and in the circumstances, I’ll take that…

Earlier in the afternoon, Headleys Bridge had run a fair race to finish third…
The trouble is, he never really looked like winning – and I would much rather my tips lost (or better still, won !) spectacularly…

In fairness to Freckle Face, he did look like he might win spectacularly, as he cantered into the lead rounding the home turn.
However, he emptied jumping the second last and was out on his feet when he fell at the last…
Obviously it is disappointing to lose - but I felt that I learnt a lot about the horse today.
The combination of soft ground, Towcester’s stiff finish, the 2m4f trip and the lack of a hood, were too much for him.
Remove a couple of those variables and I’ll be surprised if he is still a maiden at the end of the season.
Ofcourse, that’s assuming that todays race didn’t bottom him – but hopefully that will prove not to have been the case…

Not joy with the days 2 Top Picks – which was obviously disappointing (considering they are simply meant to win !).
Furthermore, both ran poorly (particularly as both were well backed).
3 tips in and I already feel like a bit of a ‘Top Picks hole’ is developing (it’s not easy turning round a deficit when you only win a point or two !) – but I guess it’s still early days…!!

Finally, a winner and an unplaced for the mentions…
Midnight Lira was definitely the interesting one here.
She was 10/1 when I issued – but 7/2 at the off. That is some market move for a horse 9lb out of the weights, competing over a trip short of it’s optimum..
And surprise, surprise, the money proved to be spot on, as she battled on well up the home stright for a convincing victory.

Umberto Dolivate didn’t do quite so well in the next race on the card…
He was part of a breakaway group of 5 entering the home straight – but he was the first one beaten.
I suspect that time will show he lost little in defeat – it looked a strong contest before hand – and I felt the same watching the race.
Hopefully he will bounce back in slightly lesser company next time out…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment