Tuesday 25 March 2014

Review of the day

Oh my word - just where do I begin…?!

I have to admit that I spent this afternoon out of the house, so I only got to watch a replay of todays race, on my return home…

I always find it difficult when I am unable to watch the races live – but provided I switch my phone off, I am generally able to watch them as if they were live (I feel my senses are heightened when I don’t know the result !)

Anyway, when I got back home late this afternoon, I went to watch the race - but the recording hadn’t been uploaded…
That happens occasionally, but it’s not what you want when you are keen to catch up on things !

I had to wait over an hour before the recording appeared (the rest of the meeting was there) – but it turned up eventually and what a race…

Firstly, I have to say that I thought Paul Carberry rode a brilliant race – apart from the last 20 yards !

He grabbed the initiative on the run to the very first fence and got Hidden Horizons into the perfect spot.
He got her jumping as well as she can – and she was ideally placed throughout the race.

His only mistake, was trying to go up the inside rail on the final run up the hill to the winning line – or was it ?!?!?

When I watched the race ‘live’, I thought the gap was there to go for – and it was closed in his face. But it was so similar to the Ataglance race at Cheltenham, I was pretty sure the placings wouldn’t be reversed…

And yet that would have been wrong – because I’m convinced the best horse in the race finished second.

I think that we need to be grateful that Downpatrick is in Ireland and not in England – as I suspect the Irish stewards interpret interference in a slightly different way to their English counterparts…

And what a relief that they do - the fightback for the month is now underway !

I know I messed up the staking on the horse – I fancied it far more than any of the horses that I staked 0.5pt win yesterday – but there you go.
One of the things I promise I will improve next season is the staking – I think that has caught us out as much as anything this season…

Still, that’s in the future – I’m just pleased with the result we got today.

In fact – just between you and I – I’m a bit more that pleased…
When the opening show came through last night, I couldn’t believe that Unoccupied had been installed a 16/1 shot by B365…
Those of you with good memories will recall that we were on him the very first Sunday of the season, when he finished runner up in the Cork National.

I decide to have a saver on him, at that price – which needless to say, had been halved by 9:00 this morning.

The wonderful thing is, B365 pay out on first past the post – as well as the amended result – so somehow, I managed to back two winners in the same race !

Now that really does take a bit of doing 8)

I think tomorrow will have to go some to top that !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment