Tuesday 25 March 2014

Daily write-up - Mar 23rd

Three NH meetings today: at Market Rasen and Wincanton in the UK – plus Downpatrick in Northern Island.

It’s uninspiring stuff however, and there was only one race of interest – and if I’m honest, one horse in that race…

It’s been a poor week - of that there can be no doubt - and I need to reflect on why that has been…

Coming down from Cheltenham was never going to be easy – but I had a plan of action to see us through to the end of the TVB season – and I feel that I’ve pretty much executed it…

I intended to keep things relatively quiet and just pick off any opportunities that presented themselves.
I’ve tried to do that – it’s just that non of the perceived opportunities have yielded any returns !
Maybe that has just been a coincidence - I don’t honestly know…

Anyway, I intend to keep things going in a similar fashion for the final week of the TVB season.
There won’t be a lot of tips – but hopefully I will find one or two that can rescue the month.

In fact it would be very nice to start on the comeback this afternoon..!


Down Royal

3:55

I find it quite amazing that I’ve not previously tipped Hidden Horizons this season…
I picked up on her when she made her chasing debut at this course in the middle of December.
I considered tipping her that day, but as is often the case with the mid week Irish racing (and even the weekend Irish racing ! ) there was no real market formed when I wanted to issue the tip.
I backed her that day with Stan James at the stand out price – as did a few other guys – and we all subsequently had our accounts with them closed !
I wouldn’t have minded so much, but she didn’t even win ! – though she did run a good race to finish third.
Funnily enough the horse that beat her that day, Kylecrue, re-opposes today.
Hidden Horizons is 11lb better off with him for a 4 and a half length beating. Strictly on the book, she should win that particular battle…
On her next run, Hidden Horizons again finished third in a novice chase at Fairyhouse in December - and she followed that up by filling the same place in a mares only chase at Thurles.
All of those races were over trips of 2m6f or less – and on each occasion, it looked as if Hidden Horizons would benefit form stepping up to 3miles plus (she has won a PTP and a maiden hurdle over that trip).
Connections did step her up slightly in trip for her next run at Wetherby – and she looked likely to go very close before losing her jockey at the second last fence.
They then dropped her back to 2m5f at Carlisle, where she finished like a train to take third place (again !).
Today finally, she gets a proper stamina test – and coincidently (I’m sure ;) ) it is in the most valuable race she has contested.
Ofcourse, as she is now stepped up to 3m4f, there can be no guarantee that she will have the required stamina to get home – but I think she will…
The good thing about campaigning her over an inadequate trip is that it has given her valuable experience – and preserved her handicap mark.
She gets in todays race off a mark of just 107 – which gives her a perfect racing weight of 10st3lb.
That must be close to the minimum weight that jockey Paul Carberry can do, so his booking this afternoon, is a real eye catcher.
He is not a jockey whom I would associate with trainer Stuart Crawford – though he is a jockey whom I think will be well suited to Hidden Horizons…
In a field of 17 round the tight Downpatrick circuit, you will inevitably need a bit of luck, but if she gets it –and her stamina holds out – I think Hidden Horizons will go very close this afternoon.

0.5pt win Hidden Horizons 15/2  


Here’s hoping for a great day ahead !

TVB.



Tips


DP 3:55 Hidden Horizons 15/2

No comments:

Post a Comment