Thursday 20 March 2014

Review of the day

Counting House ran most disappointingly at Chepstow this afternoon…

As you probably gathered from the write-up, I quite fancied him – and certainly expected to see him run a big race – so I was a little perplexed to watch him drop out, prior to the home turn…

It’s true that he did help force the pace – but he seemed to be going nicely enough along side Barlow – my guess is that he experienced some sort of breathing issue.

Horses tend to stop as he did, when they are having difficult breathing. He was also fitted with a tongue tie for the first time today. I didn’t read too much into that because he appeared to have finished well in all of his earlier races this season. But after todays performance, I have to think that maybe that something isn’t quite right…

Once again, there was no joy for the mentions either…

Come on Annie was never put into the race on her chasing debut at Ludlow.
OK, the ground probably was against her – and it was her first run over the bigger obstacles – but I still expected more.
She was raised significantly in the weights for her last win (maybe to a mark beyond the level of her ability) and it strikes me that connections may choose to write off her next few runs, in an attempt to get her back down to a mark from which she can be competitive…

Also at Ludlow, Last Shot ran a fair race in the 2 mile chase – and was still in with a shout when he crashed through the third last fence and unshipped Aiden Coleman.
I’ve no idea whether he would have won without the mishap but whatever, he was in the process of putting in a decent performance in a race that wasn’t run to suit.
Colemans reaction when he was dumped to the ground, suggested that he felt it might have been one that got away…

Finally, at Thurles, Ultra Light ran no sort of a race in the handicap hurdle.
Maybe the ground had gone against him – or maybe he’s just not that good !

In all probability, I’ll take tomorrow off.
There is a reasonable card at Newbury – but nothing has jumped out at me from it so far - and I think I would probably be better served, saving myself for the battles over the weekend.
I’ll confirm either way, first thing in the morning…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment