Sunday 2 March 2014

Review of the day

I think it is fair to say, that the results somewhat flattered todays tips..!

I’ve now been tipping for 3 seasons, and I can honestly say that Jumps Road is the most fortunate winner I’ve put up in that time.

I’ve endured many unfortunate experiences (as most of you are only too aware !) – but as a rule, lady luck has declined to smile on me – until today…!

Approaching the third last hurdle at Newbury today, Jumps Road looked well beaten in fifth place.
However, the complexion of the race then changed completely, as the leader Seventh Sky fell, bringing down the favourite Tiqris, who was travelling nicely in behind him.

Bodega backed out of things, leaving Jumps Road and Kuda Huraa to go on.
Victory for Jumps Road still looked unlikely however, with Kuda Huraa travelling all over him approaching the last.

However, Kuda Huraa made a mistake at that hurdle, handing the initiative to Jumps Road.
Amusingly (sic) Jumps Road still looked like he might give the race away when idling in the shadow of the post – but he just found sufficient to hold off the runner up…

I have to say that I feel a little guilty accepting it as a winner – even though I’ve lost far more races than I care to think about in similar circumstances !

With regard to the other tips, then Storm Survivor ran a cracker – but just couldn’t reel back Night in Milan in the Grimthorpe chase.
That was the fourth time that the TVB/JP combination has rattled the woodwork in a major staying chase this season.
I’m expecting a phone call from Mr McManus this evening, offering to pay me not to tip any of his horses during the Cheltenham festival ;)

Pilgreen also ran a fair race to finish second in the opener at Newbury - though in truth, he never looked likely to win.
It was a decent run all the same and showed that the horse retains a good chunk of ability…

The same can’t be said of Harry the Viking, who ran deplorably behind Storm Survivor.
He won’t be getting any more chances from me…

The final tip of the day to run, was Blueside Boy.
As you mat have gathered, I had very high hopes for him – but he too ran very disappointingly…
Unlike Harry the Viking however, I might be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, as the trip/combination didn’t seem to provide a sufficient test for him…
  
There was no joy for either of the days Top Picks – though my view on their respective performances were a little different…

I felt Brackloon High could have won the handicap hurdle – if he had wanted to…
He just looks ungenuine and is another one not likely to be given another chance…

Despite being beaten much further, I wouldn’t be anywhere near as damning my assessment of Carruthers…
He was just a little unlucky to bump into a rejuvenated Burton Port, who decided to mess up Carruthers completely, by trying to make all…
Ultimately those tactics did for Carruthers – though they also stopped Burton Port from wining a race that he probably should have done…

Fergall put up a cracking performance in defeat, at Kelso, only coming off second best to the vastly improved Clever Cookie – with some decent rivals strung out behind him.
Given a break, you would have to think he could go one better next time.

Neither of the days other two mentions ran particularly well however…
Prince of Dreams as very disappointing at Doncaster (he was certainly one well avoided); and although Paddy the Stout stayed on for third at Newbury, he was another to be flattered by his finishing position…

So, as its often the case, a day when the results didn’t really do justice to the selections.

It just feels a bit odd for things to go in our favour for once !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment