Tuesday 11 February 2014

Review of the day

What a disappointing day…

Tips in 3 races and I honestly expected a winner or two – but it was not to be…

In fact, all four selections ran pretty poorly, making things look bad – which I actually think is a tad unfair…

My reason for getting involved in the 2:55 race, was because I could see weaknesses in two of the favourites: Scimon Templer and Millers Reef.
I took them on by splitting stakes on Wayne Master and Thorlak. I thought Wayne Master would definitely run his race – and whilst Thorlak was a risky selection, I felt he might be able to spring a surprise…

Well, Thorlak ran no sort of a race – he was literally under pressure approaching the first hurdle. In fact, his run was so bad, it suggested to me that all might not be right with his stable…
Unfortunately, Wayne Master didn’t run much better.
A few more hurdles had been jumped before he looked beaten – but that point still arrived far earlier in the race than I’d expected…

What made it worse, was that Scimon Templer and Millers Reef did come up short as I through they might – it was just the other two possibles, W Six Times and Ancient Time, that capitalised…
Irritating….

Next up was Hotgrove Boy.
I really fancied him – with my main fear that he might get into a pace battle up front with Mumgos Debut.
Well, the two of them exchanged the lead a few times in the early stages – but it didn’t really look like a battle.
That said, it seemed to do for both of their chances as they were spent forces entering the home straight and pulled up before the last.
I can only think that either the ground was heavier than I thought – or that the pace they were setting was stronger than it looked.
Disappointing…

Finally, it was left to Gansey to try and save the day.
I’d narrowed the race down to three; him, And the Man and Wicklow Lad…
Well, my assessment was quite close - but unfortunately it was the other two, who fought out the finish with Gansey well back in fifth place…
Frustrating…

So, a day that promised so much, ultimately delivered nothing…
Of course these things happen – and if it had happened in the middle of December, no one would have batted an eyelid.
Unfortunately however, it has happened early in February, when things aren’t going anywhere near as well – and this just makes them a little bit worse…

Still, I’ve got to view it in isolation. I read things well enough on Sunday and Monday – and I didn’t actually read them that badly this afternoon – I just chose to put us on the wrong horses…

Hopefully things will improve sooner rather than later…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment