Wednesday 8 January 2014

Review of the day

We could just have done with a little bit of good luck this afternoon…

3 tips – and 3 solid runs – but, alas, no returns…

First up was Bohemian Rhapsody in the handicap hurdle.
If I’m honest, despite finishing third, I was a little disappointed with his effort. He had no excuses in terms of either race position – or his jumping technique – he simply wasn’t good enough…
In fairness, it looked as if he was taking on a very well handicapped horse, in Forced Family Fun, but I would have expected him to at least finish runner up.
He either isn’t as well handicapped as I thought – or he needs stepping back up in trip…

Next it was My Flora.
If I thought 14/1 this morning about her chances was generous – then I was dumfounded by the 25/1 SP !
I honestly expected her to run like a drain (bearing in mind the lack of market confidence) – but no, she ran very creditably…
I said this morning that I feared the market principals, Ifyousayso and Triangular – and it was those two plus Honest John, who fought out the finish, with My Flora back in fourth.
Considering I’d opted for a place saver, to watch her run well and only finish fourth, was a little annoying…

Last up was Queen Spud.
She ran almost exactly the same race that she ran last time against Iron Butterfly – and was again outbattled close home – this time by the unexposed Chasse En Mer.
There is nothing you can do about those kind of results – they will happen from time to time.
We were on the right horse at the right price – but an unexposed one improved past her.
You just have to believe that in the long run, the likes of Queen Spud will make us money…

So that was it for the afternoon.
The only other 2 horses I mentioned, Western Warhorse and Diamond King both bounced back to form with nice wins. Maybe one or two of you had a little dabble on them - though neither were ever tipping options.

Hopefully there will be some action tomorrow at Catterick, and I can look to kick start 2014.
This is always going to be a tricky time of the year, due to the many weather disruptions. I’ve just got to remain focused and disciplined and look to pick off opportunities if/when they present themselves…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. I thought My Flora ran very nicely today. I like her neat efficient jumping style, which I thought held together well as the pressure was applied. It was good to see she was kept up to her work after the chance of victory had gone. I like to think that should have blown away any cobwebs and hopefully readied her for the remainder of the season. I think if she is placed correctly by her trainer a victory or two are well within her reach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Mark…
    I wouldn’t really have expected her to need the run today – but there is the chance that she came up against 3 well handicapped horses (I can certainly believe the first 2 are well handicapped – and Honest John could be, they just seem to struggle to keep him sound).
    I think My Flora has a preference for quick-ish ground – so that could be an issue in the short term.
    However, once the spring comes round, I’m sure she’ll be able to exploit her current mark.
    Very much one to keep an eye on…
    A.

    ReplyDelete