Saturday 18 January 2014

Review of the day

No joy for either of todays tips, which is never good – but I’m sure you all realised that it could have been significantly worse…

Early yesterday evening, I fully expected to be putting up a significant number of tips today – but the more I looked at the races (and the respective prices of my fancies), the less comfortable I became.

With hindsight, I guess it could be argued that I should have given the whole day a miss – but I’ve no really issue with the 2 tips I did put up (accepting that they can’t all win !).

Supreme Bob didn’t cover himself in glory at Ludlow, but he ran reasonably, in a race which was there to be won.
An early mistake didn’t help his cause – though it did just look as if he was a bit high in the weights…

Astigos got much closer to winning at Market Rasen – but ultimately wasn’t quite good enough…
He ran a funny race in so much as whilst he never really looked like winning, he never really looked beaten either…
It was only in the last 50 yards that it became clear he wasn’t going to prevail – but he ran a far race in defeat.
That said, I was still a little disappointed.
4/1 early had become 2/1 by the off and I always hope that kind of sustained report will reap a reward.
Alas, today however, it didn’t…

Of the mentions, then the one most worthy of comment, was Katnap…
As I said this morning, he was lined up to be the big bet of the day – but the price wasn’t there…
He was even shorter at he off, returning at just 8/1 – but he ran precisely the race I expected (which was good – and bad !)

Always in the leading group, he looked to have been presented with the race when Mount Colah made a shocking blunder at the final fence.
However it was not to be as Mount Colah then rallied and got back up in the shadows of the post.
If I had tipped Katnap, I would have been gutted !

As it is, I’m just disappointed that we won’t get a chance to back him at reasonable odds (not that we got chance today !!).

Of the other mentions, then only Forest Walker ran with any credit – a staying on second to Benny Mist.
The rest were either disappointing - or very disappointing !

It was more the horses that I mentioned, but didn’t officially mention, that ran with credit: specifically, Baily Green and Sir Valentino, who could both consider themselves unlucky losers…

Finally, there was the Top Pick, Ut Majeur Aulmes, who did run pretty well to finish third - but still disappointed me. Maybe he wants a sharper course to be seen at his best…

Just a bit of advanced warning that tomorrow is likely to be a blank day.
Only the meeting at Musselburgh survives – and that looks pretty uninspiring stuff…
I’ll confirm the situation at the normal time tomorrow morning…

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment