Saturday 11 January 2014

Review of the day

I guess the danger when you tip a lot of big priced horses, is that non of them will come off…
That’s what happened today – and I ended up feeling a little deflated as a result…

Clearly when you are tipping horses at double figure odds, you will get a lot more losers than winners. You just need something to click into place – and whilst I felt things almost clicked today, it didn’t quite happen…

In fairness, pretty much all of the tips race decent races – but on the flip side, non of them ever really looked like winning – and ultimately that’s all that counts…

First up was Prima Porta – who was the shortest priced tip of the day – by some margin.
I was a little disappointed by her effort – even though she ended up not beaten that far.
Something didn’t seem to work for her: my feeling was that it was the relatively sharp track – though I guess it could have been the ground.
My inclination would be to ignore the run…

Next at Warwick, was Nozic, who ran a really good race – for a 33/1 shot (or even a 20/1 shot !).
Unfortunately, there were 2 who ran better races – and one who ran a much better race !
At least I was right in my assessment that Nozic isn’t gone yet.
He will take some beating next time up, in a slightly lower class…

Masters Hill was the third tip to run at Warwick – and again he ran a creditable race – but just found one (much) too good.
He would doubtless have benefited from a slightly longer trip as well – but there were no real excuses…

Finally, it was the turn of Safran De Cotte to run well – but not well enough…
I tipped him in the belief that the ground at Warwick would be bottomless – but it clearly wasn’t.
That is the trouble at this time of year – the weather is changeable and so is the ground.
In the circumstances, I thought he ran a big race – and I would certainly consider siding with him again in the right circumstances…

Over at Kempton, Home Run was probably the biggest disappointment of the day…
I fancied him because I felt he could have the measure of expected favourite, Saphir De Rheu.
Well, I was wrong ! I could accept that better if Home Run had run his race – but he didn’t. He was beaten much further by Saphir De Rheu this time, than he had been last time – despite being significantly better off at the weights…
I guess they are not machines…

The next race at Kempton was probably the most irritating of the day…
I was torn between Native Gallery and Planet of Sound and plumped for the former because I thought Planet would struggle in the ground.
Well, he didn’t. He jumped for fun and battled his way up the straight.
We had backed him in December for the Becher Chase at Aintree and he was taken out on the morning of the race.
Todays performance suggested we may have been a tad unlucky that day…

The final tip to run was Right Step – and once again, he ran a decent race without being quite good enough.
In truth, I always knew that would be a danger with him. He was taking on a couple of very talented sorts – but at the price, I figured he was worth a small risk.
Like Nozic, if he gets dropped in class a little, I suspect he can come good…

At least there was a win for Top Pick, Captain Chris, who absolutely bolted up in the listed chase.
Ofcourse, that too was tinged a little as we were on him ante post for the King George, only for him to be pulled out a couple of days before the race.
A bit like Planet of Sound, I think we can count ourselves a little unlucky there…

So that was it really. No luck with any of the mentions, and On the Shannon showing his hand with a 50/1 third placing in the opener at Punchestown (not what I had in mind !).

Tomorrow looks very poor – with just meetings scheduled at Kelso and Navan.
I suspect it will be a ‘no tip’ day  - but I’ll take a look in the morning and confirm around 9:00 (there certainly won’t be any action before then)…

TVB.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if some of these clerks of the course ever leave their offices and walk the course. At worse Warwick was soft with heavy patches, regardless of any goingstick rubbish. I suggest they get off their backsides and walk the course regularly all year round. In any job that involves the land there is no excuse for not knowing your patch like the back of your hand. I better stop at that, this subject always gets me angry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we’ve been caught out a few times over the past couple of weeks, with the going not being as expected…
    I guess it was forgivable to some extent on New Years day, when Cheltenham was subjected to a deluge (which wouldn’t have suited The Giant Bolster).
    Yesterday at Warwick, was less acceptable…
    I read everything I could – and checked on the going stick reading (which was around 4) and I was sure the ground would be as heavy as it could be…
    Yet after the first race, the guys on RUK were suggesting – based on times – that the ground was nearer good to soft !
    Nozic, Masters Hill and Safran De Cotte was all picked on the premise that the ground would be desperate…
    I realise it’s an occupational hazard – particularly at times like this, when there is a lot of rain about – but, as you say, it’s not unreasonable to expect courses to report as accurately as possible, thereby giving us half a chance…
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for owners and trainers. The time and money involved in a 500 mile round trip to a course that is supposedly offering soft ground, only to get there and find it running like a road. It must be so annoying, when it is one of the most basics of the job.

    ReplyDelete